When we say Mediterranean type diet, Italian pizza may come to mind immediately. However, the Mediterranean diet does not support this type of diet. A true Mediterranean diet relies on traditional vegetables and fruits, nuts, sea and dairy products from the Mediterranean region. Therefore, only fresh, healthy foods are included in the Mediterranean diet.
The Mediterranean type of nutrition model is also applied in different regions and the Mediterranean type of nutrition pyramid is emerging. The coasts of many different countries, from Egypt to Israel, from Croatia to Spain, overlook the Mediterranean region. Especially researches on the cuisines of Greece, Crete and Italy are concentrated. In addition, traditionally people's lifestyles, meals and physically active lifestyles have also shaped research.
What are the Benefits of Mediterranean Diet?
The traditional Mediterranean diet, such as fresh fruits and vegetables and seafood, when combined with sports activities, helps to reduce the risk of many diseases as well as mental and physical relaxation.
- Prevention of heart disease and stroke: By limiting the intake of red meat in the Mediterranean diet, we help prevent stroke along with atherosclerosis and heart disease.
- It allows us to be vigorous: With Mediterranean diet foods, the risk of muscle weakness and fragile symptoms is reduced by 70%. Thus, it will make you more vigorous and energetic.
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer's: As a result of researches, it has been proven that we can reduce the risk of developing brain disorders such as Alzheimer's.
- Reduces the risk of diabetes: Along with the Mediterranean diet, cholesterol, blood sugar levels and blood vessel health improve.
You may be interested in: What is the Nutrition Pyramid?
If we want to convert a normal diet to a Mediterranean type diet;
- We should consume whole grain bread with a low glycemic index.
- We should consume fruits and vegetables.
- We should eat seafood twice a week.
- We should cut down on red meat.
- We should use herbal products such as olive oil.
What Does the Mediterranean Type Dietary List Contain?
- Mediterranean fruits and vegetables.
- Breads, cereals.
- Plenty of plant foods like beans and seeds.
- An egg every day.
- Olive oil as the main source during nutrition.
- Nuts, sunflower seeds, olives, avocados.
- Low or medium fat milk.
- Poultry and fish products.
- Small or infrequent red meat.
Especially the diet that we will avoid by avoiding packaged foods will force us. We must be prepared for this. Typically, it's a bit of a hassle to switch from pasta to low-carb to fish or avocado. However, when the Mediterranean diet pyramid is examined, we see that it is a satisfying and quite healthy diet. Therefore, when we change your eating habits, our mood will change and you will be able to enjoy eating delicious foods.
Last updated August 18, 2021